It has been FOREVER since I updated this blog. Most people have probably given up on it, but I still want to track James' progress to help me remember all the little successes we have.
School
Overall James has adjusted to life in New Mexico pretty well. He started school right away, which he LOVES, and I think that helped. Since he started school here he has been doing so many new things:
1. He talks WAY more now. His echolalia has come back a lot and he is acting out movies again, but it also seems a lot more purposeful. He changes the words sometimes to express himself or ask for things.
2. He sings the ABC song all the time! I have been told this is a favorite of his at school too.
3. He recites the Pledge of Allegiance. This is pretty cute since he knows most of the words but not quite all.
4. He is starting to clap syllables. The other day he clapped "Wat-er-fall" in the shower.
5. He says "Hi" and "Bye" a lot more to people.
6. He gets to ride the bus home from school. Which he loves. The second day he got of the bus and ran in the house and yelled, "That was fun!" The other day he actually said "bye" to the bus driver, then while he was running in the house he yelled "I say bye!" I guess he is also learning the route because just before his stop last time he said "James' turn"
I also love this school. Everything is very structured and the entire staff is qualified to work with James. We had an IEP meeting because I guess all his stuff didn't transfer from Idaho and his new goals seem much more focused and helpful to him. They are also focused on the best way to help him, not just what is going to be easy. His new goals include:
1.building a 3-4 block structure
2. cut with 1/4 of a straight line holding the scissors appropriately
3. copy and circle and a cross
4. interact with other children appropriately, using cooperative play
5. participate in tabletop activities for 5 minutes with no more than 3 verbal redirection
6. Use self regulation techniques in order to avoid unwanted behaviors
7. answer what and where questions in structured and non-sturctured environments
8. speak in 3 to 4 word sentences
9. answer Yes and No questions
I love these goals because we can work on them at home and I know exactly what to expect from him. My favorite is #5 because I think it is so funny that reminding him to stay on task 3 times during 5 minutes is good for him. I can only imagine how they are constantly having to remind him what he is supposed to be doing!
Church
Church has been difficult since we moved. He has a really hard time during sacrament meeting and hates going to primary. This ward has been very understanding with him. They have called him his own primary teacher. She is someone who works with children with disabilities and seems to know what to do. They are trying really hard to help him be able to stay in primary and be involved.
Home
James has been doing well at home. He loves the warmer weather and being able to play outside more. He is doing much better at asking for things he wants, and starting to make up his own sentences. Potty training is going better. If I remember to take him every few hours we can go all day without an accident! He has yet to poop in the toilet but twice he has initiated going potty on his own. Once was at school, he asked to go potty the other time was at home and he was playing and suddenly stopped, yelled "I go potty" ran in the bathroom and went! I was pretty shocked. Our plan is to be diaper free (at least during the day) by the time the new baby is born.
Overall James seems to be adapting well to our new lives in New Mexico.
1 comment:
I'm so glad the move seems to be helping James. I hope he continues to do well! Go James (and Mom and Dad)!!
Post a Comment