This morning I woke James up to get ready for speech and OT. He always seems to stay up late playing on Wednesday nights then sleep in the next morning. He woke up "Bike ride time!" no James today we are going to speech. "No, not the one" It seems like no matter now much he really likes it, he never wants to go. So we got ready and headed out the door. "Jump time!" no James we are going to speech. He tried several different things. Then when we pulled in the parking lot "Are you kiddin me Speech!" No James I am not kidding you, we are going to speech. He was so funny this morning. Both his Speech and OT therapists reported that he had a really good day! In speech he kept asking for things he wanted, Basketball, cars, candy. And she reported that there was not as much wandering as normal. He seems to be getting in to the routine of it. Not much eye contact today, but that was not surprising.
In OT he only had one minor meltdown when he was told he couldn't stand on the scooter board(?) but it sounds like a skateboard so I can definitely see why there would be a meltdown. He reported that James was doing really well with the scissors and didn't really need any help. Big pat on the back for Mom on that one since we have been working on it at home. Then he told me how they have been coloring and he has to correct how James holds the crayon. I do that too, but I found out I am doing it wrong. It turns out there are 3 stages kids go through. Mikey and James are both at the first stage where the hold the crayon in their fist pointing up toward the thumb, then turn their fist around to color (very ineffective) so I have been taking it from James and putting it in his hand correctly, but that skips the 2nd stage which he needs to learn first. That is putting the crayon in his fist pointing down so that he doesn't have to turn his hand to color. Who knew? Once he gets proficient at that then we will start putting it in his hand correctly. One step at a time. I am learning so much.
1 comment:
I didn't know that about the fist coloring! Thanks for sharing, that will help with teaching Cal to color as well!
Post a Comment