James has been going to speech therapy for about a month now. It has been mostly difficult because James does not like to be forced to do things. Last week when we woke up I said "Today we are going to speech therapy." James replied, "No!" As we were driving I talked about speech therapy, James "talked" about gymnastics. When we pulled into the parking lot James started screaming, "No, not the one!" when we got in the waiting room Amber (his speech therapist) has to physically carry him back to the room. I could hear him screaming the entire time. So I was definitely ready for a battle this week. He woke up and I said "speech" he said "no". He talked about gymnastics. When we pulled in the parking lot however there was no tantrum. When we got in the building there was no meltdown. When he saw Amber he went right up to her and calmly walked back to her office with her. We were both pretty shocked (Amber and I).
After therapy she always talks to me about what they did and how James did. Today she gave me his goals: (each goal must take place during three consecutive sessions to be completed)
- Correctly identify named pictures from a field of two pictures with 90% accuracy.
- Correctly demonstrate appropriate pragmatic skills with 50% accuracy with moderate cueing as determined by SLP observation . (Eye contact, greetings, turn taking etc.)
- Correctly answer simple, factual questions involving yes/no responses with 60% accuracy.
- Follow simple, one-step directions with 50% accuracy.
- Correctly identify body parts on self when presented with a verbal command with 90% accuracy.
- Correctly identify named attributes (colors, shapes, sizes) in a field of 2 to address understanding of basic concepts with 90% accuracy.
- Correctly request desired items using 2-4 word phrases to address expressive language with 50% accuracy.
It was nice to have some concrete measurable goals to work on and be able to assess exactly how he is doing. The language test she gave him during the first few sessions showed him at a level of 1 year 5 months.
The best part of my day was as we were leaving. Amber said, "Bye James." As he was walking out the door. James stopped, turned around, made eye contact with her and said "Bye."
2 comments:
Oh great. Amber is his speech therapist and he isn't loving it. Is this going to mean bad association with people named Amber? Maybe I better find a new name, like Aunt um, what? I don't know! :)
I wondered....with the color, shape thing....you should show your therapist the little boards you've made... the one with the frogs and shapes and things. I think they are cool.
Post a Comment